WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative program of the National Center for Fathering focusing on prevention of violence in our nation’s schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two-fold purpose:
1) to provide an unobtrusive presence in the schools, and
2) to be a positive and active role-model for students at their school.
WATCH D.O.G.S. was founded by Jim Moore, a concerned father who chose to take action in response to a 1998 middle-school shooting in Jonesboro, AR. Joined with National Center for Fathering in 2006, WATCH D.O.G.S. serves to inspire and equip men to be the involved fathers, grandfathers and father-figures their students need. To find out more about this important program visit the Watch D.O.G.S. website.
STEPS TO GET STARTED:
1) At least 3 business days before you volunteer, please go to the RRISD Volunteer Application page to begin the application process. You will be asked for your driver license number and your social security number.
2) Once your volunteer application has been accepted,* come to the office on the day you’re ready to start. No additional sign-up is required, and no amount of time is too small. For questions regarding your application, contact the Community Partnerships Department (512-464-5049).
3) Once you have checked in at the front office, you will be given a suggested schedule of how to assist during the school day. Once again, no amount of time is too small…from one hour to the entire school day. We are excited that you are here to help!
*You will only be notified if your volunteer application has been denied by the Community Partnerships Department (512-464-5049). For questions regarding your application, contact the Community Partnerships Department.